Sunday, April 29, 2007

Joost!

I've just become a new member of the beta Joost community. If you didn't know, Joost is relatively new interactive software that uses P2P television technology to distribute TV shows and other video content - for free. Basically, you get a very luscious UI complete with an Dashboard-like overlay of widgets, and the ability to watch about 24 TV channels in fullscreen on your computer. The channels you get depend on where you are. To be honest, I'm not all that impressed with the channels I get right now, but this is only the beginning. I think that once Joost has completed beta testing it'll be much more enticing. There are rumors circulating on the community forums of all kinds of things on the horizon: CNN, HBO, and special features like a Star Trek channel. Despite the current lack of attractive options, the program itself is very nice. I haven't looked at screenshots from the Windows version, but the OS X version is very Mac-like; pretty, intuitive, and all the rest. I predict that, if they keep up the good work, Joost is going to be a big hit, and probably more of a threat to YouTube than Sony's current Japan-based project called eyeVio. (For the Slashdot article on this, clicky.)

Also, I need to give a big shout-out to David Linsin, whose blog I came across randomly while browsing Technorati. He was cool enough to send me and three others an invite to Joost beta. Like all things that hope to generate some hype, Joost requires you to be specially invited by a current user before you can download the client. And it's not like Gmail where everyone immediately has so many invitations. I currently have none, but I think I'll probably get some eventually. If I do, I'll be happy to send them to anyone who's interested.

On the personal side of things, I had a pretty rough third day at work on Saturday, as we were hosting a wedding in the evening which meant everyone had to be on top of their game. After some relaxation on Sunday I met up with friends for some almost-soccer/step-sitting/soda-swigging, (sorry Sarah) shenanigans. At some point between 12 and 1 we stopped by the Barn in Westdale (now open 24/7!) and stocked up on candy, Ritz crackers, strawberries with whipped cream and corn nuts, and headed over to Sara's place to watch The Emporer's New Groove. Good stuff. I don't work again until Thursday, meaning I need to get some other things done in the next couple days. I think I'll take a resume (Shh!) over to Fortinos with an interest in the little Entertainment section they have in one corner of the store. I also need to call my boss again to see if I can get a day off next week so I can go to Newmarket.

Anyway that's all for now.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger David Linsin said...

Thanks for the shout-out :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home