Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hooray For Lack of Lame

The mayor of NYC wants to put a ban on cellphones in public schools. Guess he had an insatiable craving for Public Outcry?
(Big kudo-rama to Kat for sending me this story!)

I'm so glad things here in Guelph aren't so ridiculous. All I have to do is worry about keeping my phone charged and on vibrate. Half the reason for Bloomberg's crusade is that ringing phones are a distraction in class. Gimme a break, man! I mean, ok; I realize things are a little different in a university setting, but phones definitely go off all the time in lectures, and it's no big deal. Like Kat said in our conversation, profs tend to make a joke about it, ("Ok now tell the truth! Is that a girl calling to invite you to a party on saturday or your mom calling to make sure you have clean underwear?") or they just keep right on going without a word.

Take a page from our book, Bloomie. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everyone knows there's no serious issues with phones in schools. You can stab somebody with one of those compasses for drawing pretty circles just as easily as you can stick your phone under a stall door to snap a classy 1 megapixel photo. Punish the fools who do this, not everyone.

Moving goes well. I'm almost finished. I love my BRITA filter, and my cozy new zip-hoodie.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Sarah Katherine said...

Brita filters are the shiznat.

Bloomberg had some points about cheating and basically the device being a distraction to students. Yawn. Silly man, clearly has a flair for the dramatic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home