Tuesday, October 02, 2007

To Be Too Honest

I recently applied for a MasterCard with my bank, (you can do it all online), and got brutally shot down for being too honest. Let's take a step back. As soon as people hear that a young person wants a credit card, they start shaking their heads as they envision the kid lining up at a checkout counter, armed with their magic plastic, to put themselves in debt and make their parents' hair fall out. And I say to you: Please. Haven't you more faith in me than that?

The reason I'd like a credit card has nothing to do with wanting more money, and has everything to do with wanting more access to the money I already have. Why? Because the internet doesn't do debit. That's right, the internet. I'm sick and tired of not being able to shop or do anything online because I don't have a magic number to feed those little white input fields. I'd like to be able to conveniently buy tickets to a local show, or a birthday gift for a friend, or order a pizza.

((BY THE WAY: This will seem very random right now but it'll become clear in a moment why I brought this up now. Something kind of big that happened in my life that I totally forgot to mention on this blog is that I quit my job at Sears last month. The only real reason is that it was going to be way too inconvenient and expensive to commute every weekend, and it also conflicted with my Technical Theatre course which requires my presence on Saturdays. I left on good terms though, so it's all good.))

Now, if I ever want internet liberty, I guess I'll have to try a different angle. Here's a little synopsis of the digital dialogue with my bank. I guess I can see why they'd be concerned.

What is your occupation?
Student.

If Student, are you studying something practical?
No, B.A.

Are you currently employed?

Nope.

What is your current living situation? (Own/Rent/Live with parents?)
Rent.

If renting, what is the monthly rate?
$425.00

What is your current yearly income?
Well...like, nothing.


Calculating....

Response: Thanks but no thanks!

---------------------------------------------------

Yes I fabricated the bit about what I'm studying, but I'm pretty sure there might have been some question to that effect.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed with the credit card bit. I'd probably buy some cool shirts right about now and because of the dollar parity they would actually be good deals.

Just a side note, you don't need a credit card to buy pizza online. The first time you do it they call you up to confirm, then every time after that you just click a few buttons and you're good!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I know you don't need one for pizza. :p

I liked how it sounded. Narrative licence.

Threadless t-shirts are definitely near the top of my like-to-buy list.

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough about the pizza :P. I wish threadless had a top scoring list. I see scores on the t-shirt pages but you can't view a ranking. Or at least I can't find it.

Out of curiousity I looked at their submission thing for t-shirts, you can only use 5 colours in your design (n).

Other than that, I think threadless t-shirts are expensive relative to other internet t-shirts @ 25 bucks compared to 15-20.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home