Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ask CBS: WoW Will Kill Your Baby

[click me I'm delicious]

I find it very interesting that, aside from that sorry excuse for a journalist trying to subtly demonize something she knows nothing about, the editors actually chose to (exclusively) use footage from the Black Temple trailer, which depicts children in a hazardous situation. Can you say, oh I don't know, obvious desire to influence? Good lord. I mean, it's no secret that mainstream media outlets put big slants on things all the time, but when, like me, you understand just how misleading this is, it makes them look pretty darn unprofessional. Or, maybe professional is what they are, since that's what professional media does.

This is all in relation to the story about Baby Grace, if you didn't know. The details are in that link, but basically some really screwed up parents tortured and killed their young daughter. As it so happened, they met on WoW. Dun-dun-dun! The whole point I'm representing here is: look at the numbers, people. Blizzard's got close to 10 million subscribers right now. Is it so surprising that, in a social game, two people met up and hit it off because they're both extremely screwy individuals?

There are 6.2 million teachers across all levels in the United States, (source) which is a lot less than the amount of WoW subscribers world-wide. If two teachers got married and did something horrendous like this, would people start pointing fingers at US Teachers' Colleges for instilling baby-killing tendencies?

Sorry that it's been almost a month since I last posted anything. The blog's not dead, I'll be coming back to it. I've just been busy, and sidetracked. And slightly disenchanted with the media industry in general, but this was just too juicy to pass up.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home