Sunday, September 10, 2006

And So On

This entry will have to be short because I need to go to bed in good time. My first class, a Theatre Studies lecture, is tomorrow...erm, this morning at 11:30. My ears feel like they're on fire right now because I've been walking around out in the cool night for a few hours with Rockwell.

Before I lose interest I want to mention a really great movie I got around to watching last night: Garden State. It's a film created by the multi-talented Zach Braff, a reflection more or less of himself. One critic's review asserted that this was a movie that could not have been made by anyone other than Braff; it's extremely personal and sentimental. It feels like something that somebody poured their heart and soul into.

I love this movie for several reasons. The most dominant reason has to do with the way it hit on ideas that I've been turning over in my head all week ever since I moved out of my parents' house. It was very easy to relate to, which automatically bonds you with the main characters. The most endearing character, and probably the most charming feature of the movie as a whole is Natalie Portman's character, Sam. I love the original Star Wars movies, (I have an Empire Strikes Back poster on my wall) but, as is the case with many fans, Lucas's prequel trilogy does little more than make me cringe. Naturally I developed a bad impression of Portman, failing to recognize just how hindered she was by Lucas's attrocious script-writing. (And for the record, although it was nowhere near as bad as Star Wars, her performance in V for Vendetta didn't do a lot for me either.) In Garden State, on the other hand, Natalie Portman portrays what I feel I can say is one of the most charming characters I've ever seen on screen. I even caught myself thinking, "Now there's the perfect girl," which is very odd considering one of the most important facts about her character is that she is quite flawed. This point in itself raises a slew of questions about whether or not something that's considered "perfect" is even very desirable, but I'm not going to get into that now.
Another great thing about Garden State is the soundtrack - in fact, that's probably what it's best-known for. I called Zach Braff multi-talented due to the fact that he wrote the script, directed it and starred in it as well as handpicking the hip alternative-style melodies (by groups such as the Shins and Frou Frou) that make this film just that much more enjoyable.

I could go on and on about it all night. The point is: see it. It's great.

Some other films I've seen recently and liked:
The Producers - risque...debaucherous...and side-splitting.
Match Point - a Woody Allen flick...good entertainment with an unpredictable ending that catches you off-guard

I also rented Red Eye and V for Vendetta this past week. They were good, but nothing really special - and mostly everyone's seen them.

Anyhow, I've been in a funk for a few days but I've come out of it now and I'm pumped to start classes today. Change is weird and stressful, but life goes on, thank goodness.

3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw V for Vendetta and I thought it was brilliant. But then, I totally loved 1984.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I love 1984 too. Maybe you just have to be in the right mood watching a movie like VfV. I liked the alliteration onslaught part though. Haha.

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was wicked cool. I hate inane alliteration but that was cleverly done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home