Monday, October 16, 2006

VICTORY! and York

Just like I said I would, I checked the availability of Linguistics again, just a moment ago. One spot open and I grabbed it! HAHAHAHA. This makes me very happy. I would like to take this opportunity to publicly flaunt this fact to Rockwell who adamently said, "don't bother keeping an eye on it for an opening, that NEVER happens." Served. Haha. Oh, and the course I dropped to make room for it was History in Film.

Anyway, just so it doesn't feel left out:

Introduction to Linguistics
The nature of language. An elementary survey of linguistic disciplines. Phonetics, morphology, syntax, semantics, language, and society.


I drove with my parents to the York district today. Knowing absolutely nothing about the area, I had it in my head for some reason that York was the well-to-do area in northern Toronto, kind of posh and modern and community-oriented. Hrm. In reality it kind of looks like how I've always imagined the Bronx - or maybe Queens, NY. I have also heard people call the campus both "ugly" and "boring", however I didn't think it was too bad. It's certainly not "pretty" in the traditional sense that parts of Guelph's campus are, but it makes up for that with an interesting modern feel. We also spotted a sign that said, "subway coming soon to York". Of course soon could mean 5 or so years, but hey, it's progress. I think I'd be satisfied if I could live on or very close to the campus and take a bus/the subway South, into the part of Toronto that's actually nice to shop and go out on the town and such. We'll see.

Still haven't started that Languages of the Media paper. It's getting scarier by the minute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home