Monday, June 18, 2007

All's Right With The World

Today something made me remember the inscription, "God's in his heaven, all's right with the world" from the anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. Its origin lies in a Robert Browning poem called "Year's at the Spring".

The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven --
All's right with the world!

In NGE, the last two lines are used as the logo of an organization in the series that is attempting to wipe clean humanity's slate and return to a Garden of Eden-like state of innocence. NGE had a powerful effect on me as an angsty and "pickup truck philosophy"*-loving teenager. I'm sure the main reason for that is the fact that most of the show was terrifyingly sad. The fictional world is exactly how the adults want it to be, and the children, the protagonists, are downright miserable. There wasn't a glimmer of hope in their future.

I think I used to look at my own life that way. Maybe not so dismal - more like I couldn't picture my own future at all. I had no idea what it would hold. But that's all changed now. It's odd, but since life's become more difficult - and I guess more full - I've been happier. I think it's a road sign standing on the threshold of adulthood, when your future is suddenly very tangible, and you're excited about it and actively taking steps on your own to shape how it will be. Life is exciting business.

So I watched The Fountain and liked it a lot. It got 50% on Rotten Tomatoes; an equal split of brilliant and abysmal. It's definitely not for everyone, and if you start to nod off whenever movies start getting unrealistic, you should probably stick to more conventional stuff. I especially loved the sountrack though, and I'd like to buy it or download it - when I get around to it. Also, my gang bussed up to Toronto this past Friday night to visit Pete in his new territory and celebrate his birthday. Good times were had. Queen Street is an amazing place and I want to go back there soon. Unfortunately, everyone assumed everyone else would bring a camera so we have no photos to document the occasion.

Everything else continues on basically as usual. I borrowed Season 2 of Numb3rs from Paul, and am working my way through that and finding other things to do in my spare time while I wait until I have enough money to start buying the things I want. Speaking of which, here's a list of the stuff I want to buy. Consider it a reference for myself, or if you prefer, a vain and childish letter to Santa that really serves no purpose except to entertain me at this moment.

Stuff Dave Wants to Buy: (No real order)

Camera
Guitar Hero 2
Next-gen console + Games
The Fountain Soundtrack
New PC
Clothes
Home Gym Equipment
Camcorder
Books
...

Uh that's all I can think of.

Last thing: I have good news. VERY good news. But, I'm not going to blog about it yet until it's really really official. In any case, you've probably already guessed. That's ok. I'll fill you in later. For now, it's time to go.


*My high school Philosophy teacher's term for any kind of philosophical musing, especially metaphysical, that is ignorant, whimsical, or otherwise devoid of scholarly merit.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find it fun to make a list of things I want to buy, usually unrealistic of course haha. Since you posted your list, I'll post one :P.

new pair of aviators
bugatti
hummer with treadz
tripped out comp
some stylin' clothes
some ice
all the cool lego sets (star destroyer millenium falcon)
some tasty steak



of course the setup i've dreamed of was a computer terminal with a nice big screen at the middle of http://www.kinoweb.de/film2000/X-Men/pix/xmen3_L.jpg

the panels on the walls of cerebro would be made of speakers, creating a complete 360 degree sound

 

Post a Comment

<< Home