Friday, June 29, 2007

Ron Paul's No Diamond in the Rough

The internet's been all-ablaze lately with hype about one of the Republican presidential candidates, Ron Paul. His biggest flaw, from my point of view, is being against net neutrality. That's a deal-breaker for me. Obviously the whole little issue of being Canadian means I have no involvement in this, but I care what stance the US as a whole takes on net neutrality since Canada often follows in their footsteps.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting about it is because of this interview with Mr. Paul on one of my favourite TV programs, G4's Attack of the Show!. Co-host Kevin Pereira asks for details regarding Mr. Paul's stance on net neutrality, and he basically says, "Well...I don't really understand all the details." And that's the biggest problem with politicians when it comes to these issues, is that they don't really know what they're talking about. (That goes for the gaming industry especially!) That's what would set Ron Paul apart from other politicians in my mind, and what would get him my vote if I were American. Anyhow, maybe I'm being hypocritical since I don't follow American politics much and this is all I'm really going off of, but I still think it says a lot.

Here's le interview.

Edit: But you know, after watching that again, I want to say that I'm not claiming the guy has no redeeming qualities or anything like that. He might still even be the best presidential candidate, and I don't ignore the cool things he's done - especially in regard to the web. If you check out his web page, you'll see they're right on the ball. I'm just saying it's too bad that an otherwise cool guy is brought down a notch or two by certain ignorance, just like his peers.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father of internet warns against Net Neutrality

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/kahn_net_neutrality_warning/

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This bill may be just as deceptive as the so-called "patriot act," as the bill would allow the federal government to regulate the internet, and if the history of the FCC is any indication, this is bound to lead to a situation where the federal government will begin to control speech and other content on the internet as well (a la the "fairness doctrine"). Paul voted, likewise, against banning online gambling, and against imposing universal filters on the internet that would take the responsibility away from parents to monitor their children's exposure to "indecent" online material.

http://thereconstitutionrevolution.blogspot.com/2007/07/defense-of-ron-pauls-voting-record-in.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home