Friday, August 03, 2007

A Finale to the Game that Never Ends?

Blizzard has announced World of Warcraft's next expansion title: Wrath of the Lich King.

I won't go into a lot of specifics. For those interested, all the information is can be found here. The biggest news bits are the fact that they're introducing the "Death Knight Hero Class" and adding the continent of Northrend. This is a very exciting development for veterans of the series, because it will be picking up the story of the main character from the last story-based game.

Because of that, I have a strong gut feeling that this expansion will spell the end for the Warcraft franchise. Blizzard can, (and may) release another expansion after this, but as far as the plot's concerned, the main struggle will be over. I can certainly think of ways to create more content inspired by existing plot material, but the material's flimsy. Maybe I'm wrong - the game does after all have over 9 million subscribers - it just seems to me that trying to take WoW another step further after this would be trying to milk it one too many times. If I'm right, than this announcement could be the beginning of the end of WoW.


Interesting Dave-related updates coming as soon as I get my media together - aka when Peter feels like uploading photos.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home