Friday, December 28, 2007

Jolt

I'm going to cut to the chase. This morning I found out that the harddrive in my laptop is fried. Despite the fact that I'm usually the guy encouraging people to back up their files, and take advantage of the all the other life-saver resources out there, I have barely anything saved elsewhere. I fell into the infamous, "it won't happen to me" mindset. "After all, I'm a Mac user now. Mac users don't get stupid computer problems. My laptop is invincible. It could beat up your laptop." So yeah. Hypocracy-overwhelming.

Hopefully I should be able to get my music back, since it's on my iPod. Also, some of my better photography, and my friends' photography, is still on Flickr. The main loss I'll suffer is all the writing I've done in the past year and a half, minus blog entries. I also had a boatload of resources bookmarked and a lot of customized settings in my web browser. That stuff isn't such a big deal though, I'm just moping about the time and effort it'll take to restore everything. Speaking of restoration, I should probably mention that yes, it is almost certainly unrepairable and yes, I'm having a new drive put in (upgrading to 160gb) as soon as the new year hits and my local Mac place re-opens. While I'm at it I may spend some of my Christmas money on upgrading its RAM (520mhz to 2ghz) as well, which would make it seem like a brand new computer, but with a dirtier screen. Still considering this.

As to my absence from writing, that's a whole other can o' worms. Actually I have nothing to say, except that I didn't feel like saying anything until now. However, I think there'll be less of a gap between now and the next time I feel like saying something, so there ya go.

Edit: Got these for Christmas after witnessing their power and handsomeness in Peter's and Paul's setup. The sound out of these things is remarkable. Click the pic for specs.



Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Upgrading your ram from 520mhz to 2ghz would cost you 400+ bucks since only DDR3 has speeds nearing 2ghz (as far as I know). Actually, 1866mhz is the highest I've seen. Jokes aside, I've been doing a bit of research, 2x1024MB should be reasonably cheap these days, for example http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2968796&CatId=2500

When I'm a bit older and have some actual money to spend I'll probably buy parts online instead of going to a retailer. The issue of course is you can always go back to the retailer if there's a problem and get it sorted out right away.

There's actually a lot of things that determine whether memory is good, and also when matching it to motherboard bus speeds and such.

You should do some research on prices so you know if you're getting ripped off or not.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Yep, I did quite a bit of researching and price comparing back in the summer when first decided I wanted to upgrade. I was talking to a guy in Vancouver who would have sold and shipped me 2x1024MB for a sum less than my local retailer, but as you said, I want to be able to go crying to someone if there's a problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home